10/19/2009

Guild Member Spotlight: R.L. Copple

Welcome to our series of ongoing conversations with Lost Genre Guild members. Catch them here on Mondays!


Rick Copple - byline, R. L. Copple

When did you join the LGG? How did you make the connection?

October 22, 2008. I'd seen Frank Creed on forums and kept hearing about Lost Genre Guild. I finally asked him what it was about and decided it was something I would like to be a part of.

What's the first thing you remember that happened in the Guild?

When I jumped in, there was a discussion on short fiction, flashes. The good, the bad, and the ugly.

I challenged everyone to write a 100 word or less flash. Only Alice and myself participated that I recall, but it was fun.

Tell us some good things that have transpired from belonging.

Mostly support and help with marketing. Plus some interesting discussions from time to time. But it is great to have others in the same boat as yourself, who can not only help you, but you can help them.

What's your genre and subgenre? Why do you think that is?

I've done fantasy and soft science fiction, mostly space opera type. I also have a partiality to super hero stories.

I think it is because I find the unusual interesting. Maybe I'm just bored with real life. lol. But I experience that myself, I would rather read about life I can't experience. So, I tend to want to write that kind of story as well.

Do you like to read the same genre as you write? What other genres interest you? Favourite authors?

Yes, I like to read the same genres that I write in. About the only other type of story that interest me is comedy in general, and I tend to like spoofs in particular, but anything that can make me laugh and in good taste is fun to read, watch, or write.

I guess that's why my first published short story was a fantasy comedy: Dragon Stew.

Favorite authors are mostly in past years. Lester Del Ray, Asimov, Tolkien, Lewis.

Tell us about your published work, and where we can go to find out more.

I have a central place on my web site that list all my published works.

http://www.rlcopple.com/published.php

You'll find there several short stories, flashes, and poetry that's been published on-line. You'll also be able to see the blurbs, reviews, and where to buy my two published books, /Infinite Realities/ (Nov. 2007), and /Transforming Realities/ (Mar 2009).

What are you working on right now? How's progress?

Several projects. One, the final book in the Reality Series, /The Reality/, is in the editing stages. I'm hoping that one will be ready to come out in 2010.

Mind Game - is a space opera story in the polishing stages. I'm hoping to start finding a publisher for it soon. Jeremy and Mickey end up trapped along many others from Earth into a realistic virtual reality game which is really designed to trick them into fighting an real alien world's war.

Hero Game - is the planned sequel to that, which if I can come up with a good plot, will be the novel I write at his year's National Novel Writing Month.

Worlds Apart - a space opera style novel. This is the first novel I wrote in 2005 which started me down this writing road. I'm currently rewriting it fresh since there are so many problems with the original that I felt it would be easier to simply rewrite it than edit it.

On short stories, seems 2009 has been my rewrite year. I have about four rewrite request on short stories that I'm finding hard to get to with my focus on my novels. Unlike previous years, I've published no short stories or flashes to date. Not much time left!

How has the LGG helped you in your work?

The writing and discussions have been good, but I think the biggest thing is help with marketing and publicity. I don't take full advantage of everything, but the help with reviews and getting info on blogs has been a big help. And making contacts in the business is half the struggle. What better place to make friends that who can help each other get published and then to get the word out?

What are your dreams for the future of Christian speculative fiction, and for yourself within that?

As has been noted before by people higher up than me, the industry is changing. I think Christian speculative fiction is certainly going through an Internet/small indie press renaissance of sorts. The success of those efforts will open up opportunities in the more established CBA as well who have traditionally not been very keen on this type of fiction, suggesting Christians wouldn't buy it. I think we're proving them wrong.

I'm hoping that over time, I can carve my own nitch into this movement. Ideally, I would love to write full time. I know that is a dream, but dreams do come true, and while not easy, it is possible. Until then, I'll keep writing and selling. I figure at a minimum, it will be something in my retirement years to keep my mind active. And who knows, something I write could positively affect someone else's life. Actually, I believe it already has, so in my book that is a win-win situation.

Your best writing tip?

My *best* one. Hum. Probably this. Write. Don't expect to get rich. Write anyway. Don't expect to become an overnight sensation. Write anyway. Don't expect to become an expert writer on your first story/book. Write anyway. Expect to struggle with this for a few years before you really get noticed. Write anyway. If you love to write, do it because there's a story that has to get out. If you are writing, are open to learning, but always keep writing, you'll eventually find your voice, style, and stories that work for you. But you never will unless you keep on writing.

What else are you up to that our readers would find interesting?

Our regional National Novel Writing Month coordinator has asked me to manage a workshop on preparing/planning on writing your novel. It is scheduled to take place at the Pflugerville Public Library (north edge of Austin, TX) on Oct. 21st, at 7:00 pm Central Time. I think there is talk of the library recording it and putting it on the web as a podcast.

Something you reckon not many people know about you?

I used to draw comics and record stories on a tape recorded when I was a teen. Three of those comics that I still have are on my published page listed above. Free bonus material.

I also wrote a Shakespearian style comedy play in High School English class once. I wish I still had that, would be fun to read now.

Your website or social media profile?

http://www.rlcopple.com
http://www.twitter.com/rlcopple
http://www.shoutlife.com/rlcopple

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You know, you kind of resemble Larry Niven?