10/05/2009

Guild Member Spotlight: Sherry Thompson

Welcome to our ongoing series of conversations with Lost Genre Guild members. Catch them here on Mondays!

Sherry Thompson

When did you join the LGG? How did you make the connection?

Feb-Mar 2008. Frank invited me to join becuase he knew me via the Christian Fandom list.

What's the first thing you remember that happened in the Guild?

Previous to my joining, a LGG member asked for advice for her mystery novel set on the Moon. The question was cultural in nature, I believe. By the time I becaue I member, the thread had taken over most of the bandwidth on LGG and had become quite wacky. I leaped in at once, feeling quite at home.

Tell us some good things that have transpired from belonging.

Three huge things:
1. Getting to know all of you!
2. Having my fantasy novel "Seabird" blog-toured this year.
3. Obtaining Frank's help with Earthbow.
Make that 4 things--Learning all sorts of bits and pieces about all sorts of things including specific Christian Speculative fiction publications by LGG members and their friends.

What's your genre and subgenre? Why do you think that is?

I write Christian fantasy which is sort of on the cusp of YA and adult. I write it because way back in 1979, I was inspired to write it.

Do you like to read the same genre as you write? What other genres interest you? Favourite authors?

I read very slowly and therefore have less time to finish works than most people. Generally, I prefer readng fatnasy but I do read some SF. I am gob-smaked amazed at the people who can write SF well, much less Christian SF!
Favorite authors remain the Inklings of mid-20th century Oxford, plus Geo MacDonald, etc.

Tell us about your published work, and where we can go to find out more.

"Seabird", my YA/adult Chridstian fantasy novel, has been available since Jan 2008. The publisher is a small indy named Gryphonwood Press, owned by Daved Wood who is a part-time Methodist minister. It--the book-- can be purchased through Amazon and B&N online, and can be special ordered via most bookstores.
For more information, pleae go to my website:
http://khivasmommy.googlepages.com/news%21 (links to reviews)

What are you working on right now? How's progress?

I am revising "Earthbow" which is the sequel to "Seabird". It's also a fantasy, set in my world of Narenta--which is a Christian world beset by sorcerers, werewrights and other forces of evil. Amongst other themes, "Earthbow" is about the nature of forgiveness. In spite of the theme, much of "Earthbow" is kind of swashbuskly, sword-and-sorcery-ish. ;-)

How has the LGG helped you in your work?

Thanks to the information in too many threads for me to remember in detail. Also, I learned about The Finishers via LGG.

What are your dreams for the future of Christian speculative fiction, and for yourself within that?

I would love to see it spread its wings and land in both regular and Christian bookstores in a larger way than it has to the present time. The only way that this will happen --in my opinion-- is of various types of publishers but especially indy publishers to accept the promise of Christian speculative fiction as a viable genre in the market place. In the long run, I look to the indy press for this to happen. And to God moving certain hearts in certain publishing houses of course.)

Your best writing tip?

Two. The first is ancient--BiC, i.e. butt in chair.
The second one works for me especially when I'm revising. The "job" --any job actually-- looks far worse before you start working on it. Find I way to begin and you're halfway to the end of the project whether it's writing the first paragraph of a story or revising a novel.

What else are you up to that our readers would find interesting?

Not much. I've started attending a new church which I can only reach by very wonky Sunday bus transportation. Please pray for me that I may find someone with whom I can ride to and from the church.
Once "Earthbow" is revised and published (end of year into beginning of new year), I want to take the show on the road to one or more speculative fiction cons in the eastern seaboard area. Possibly, Arisia or Boskone.

Something you reckon not many people know about you?

I used to write lyrics for filk songs. (pre-2000 mostly) I even one a prze once for the "Most Fannish Filk Lyrics" Title of song: "Fenton, the Neo and the Dew"

Your website or social media profile?

http://tree-lady.livejournal.com/91893.html

Under the Mercy,

SherryT

No comments: