11/30/2009

Guild Member Spotlight: Steve Doyle

Steve Doyle

When did you join the LGG? How did you make the connection?


In the summer of 2006 Frank Creed posted a message to "the Herscher Project", an international group of writers to which we both belong. He told us about an Christian spec-fic anthology that Dan Weaver was putting together. I signed up and wound up submitting two stories, one of which was accepted for publication in Light at the Edge of Darkness.

What's the first thing you remember that happened in the Guild?


The name change. The group was originally called Christian_Fic_WRE_Crit_Group where WRE stood for Writing, Reading and Everything. That's quite a mouthful and the group set out to create a more easily recognizable name. The Lost Genre Guild was the result of that effort.


Tell us some good things that have transpired from belonging.

One good thing is that I became a published author. Previously I'd only had a poem published in an anthology which probably accepted everything by everybody everywhere. The other good thing is all the folks I met along the way, writers who are more than willing to help out other writers.


What's your genre and subgenre? Why do you think that is?


Speculative fiction is not the norm for me. I usually write paranormal, though my WIP is an historical novel.


Do you like to read the same genre as you write? What other genres interest you? Favourite authors?


I do enjoy reading mysteries and ghost stories as well as history and historical fiction. Many of my friends write fantasy so I read a lot of that as well. Some of my favorite authors include Arthur Conan Doyle and Edgar Allen Poe. That guy Frank Creed is pretty good too.


Tell us about your published work, and where we can go to find out more.


Other than Light at the Edge of Darkness, I've had stories published online at Residential Aliens and Flashes in the Dark, and in an anthology by cyberwizard productions called Strange Worlds of Lunacy.

What are you working on right now? How's progress?

Right now I'm behind on a short story for the Herscher Project #42: The Meaning of Life, entitled "The Accidental Immortal". I'm in the final stages of finishing "The Casebook of the Paranormal Research Institute", a collection of stories based in and around London. I've also written a few stories for a second casebook which take place in New England. For more information on that I've put together a section at my website. My main WIP is the historical novel, "Seeds of Greed" which takes place in Plymouth, MA around the time of the American Revolution. There's a section of my website devoted to that, including a bit about how I got started on the project and some weird things that have happened along the way. A few of the chapters are posted there as well, although they're only at the rough draft stage.


How has the LGG helped you in your work?

Besides the wealth of knowledge various members bring to the table, in all areas of writing, publishing and marketing, and the critique circles, one thing I think helps is the level of commitment and support they have for each other. No matter what you're personally going through, the members of the LGG go out of their way to let you know you're not alone.


What are your dreams for the future of Christian speculative fiction, and for yourself within that?


Maybe the "Lost Genre" will become obsolete as more and more people come to realize that Science-Fiction, Fantasy and Horror can be written by and for Christians who enjoy a good story without excessive gore and violence and without a patronizing, be-warned-lest-ye-be-lost type of message.


Your best writing tip?

Advice I should follow myself--Write!
What else are you up to that our readers would find interesting? I run a blog called New Book News which features books by new-ish authors. I'm also kicking around the idea of a paranormal book based on stories by people who believe them. Many folks tell me they've had personal experiences they can't explain. I think it would be fun to put together a collection.

Something you reckon not many people know about you?

"The Casebook of the Paranormal Research Institute" had been accepted by a publisher specializing in "writings pertaining to the Pagan, Gothic, Occult and Vampire Communities". We couldn't agree on some of the contract terms, but had we gone ahead I would have the distinction of being published at both ends of the spectrum.

Your website or social media profile?

Doylebooks.com is my main website. I keep a profile at Doylebooks.com/Myspace and a more active one at Doylebooks.com/Facebook.

No comments: